Saturday, October 29, 2011

Oh No, Oh Snow

I was snuggled warmly in bed.

We’d all stayed up late into the AM the night before. Ivy and I had gone to Brooklyn for a Halloween soirĂ©e and then crashed at her place in Harlem. Our plan that morning was to sleep in like the lazy bums we never get to be, walk around the park, and then start…. eh, finish the dreaded thesis.

It was your typical 20-something-grad-student-in-New-York Saturday.

Alas, as I rolled out of bed, something falling from the sky caught my eye. No, it couldn’t be… not yet. Surely not yet.

But it was! It was SNOW. Big fat flakes fell gracefully into the ally, mocking me with their dace-like tumble onto the street.




Didn’t these hateful ice bombs realize they were early!? My mind kept screaming the words “October” over and over again.

“Ivy… Ivy wake up.”
“What, what., what…”
“Snow. Snow… It’s snowing. It’s snowing.”
“No.”
“Yes.”
“Snow?!” she said sitting straight up and then quickly walking towards the window. We stood there for about two seconds, looked at each other, and then screamed like we were cued for a movie:

“NOOOOOOO!!!!”

Don’t get me wrong. I used to love snow and I still enjoy it on occasion. The city is never quieter or cleaner in the midst of a blizzard, and who doesn’t like a little white Christmas?

But. It’s October. Walking 15 minutes from the subway in icy slush with holey shoes, tights, and a dress is… well, I’m whining and I know it, but it was freaking miserable! Ivy let me barrow some winter necessities (thank you!), and yet I still resembled a chattering, blue fool by the time I reached my apartment.


Last winter in New York was unbearable. In fact, we don’t talk about it because it was slightly scarring. Every other day in January we had ice storms that would knock you down on the street, and wind that would cut through your coat - especially near the river. Subways got stuck for hours and my constant walk, walk, walking turned into a routine worth repressing.

Winter wonderland, you are reluctantly welcome back in December. Please stay away until then. You must let we New Yorkers get mentally prepared... or given time to evacuate. 



Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

Angela Watson said...

Cheer up and enjoy! Tomorrow it will all melt in the sun.

And if the wind cut through your coat last winter, you don't have a good coat. I *highly* recommend one of those calf-length down comforter coats that makes you resemble a walking sleeping bag. Last winter I wore short sleeves almost everyday because if I put any more layers under that coat, I would be drenched in sweat within minutes. Seriously. Make the investment. It will change your winter life.

britney fitzgerald said...

auughh i have one of those jackets - and its helpful - but i can't wear that through March. Not yet! The snow must disappear till Dec! i also got to find my winter clothes... hahaha

Angela Watson said...

No worries--it's supposed to be 50 and sunny tomorrow, and highs near 60 by the end of the week! This is just a fluke. Enjoy it because I don't think it will be back for a few weeks (maybe longer.) :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh my, that fancy little coat you bought doesn't seem to work in the snow..... :( At least you have new snow boots. Might want to find them... :). Good luck on the thesis!!!!

mom said...

oops, I forgot to sat that was from mom!!!! Ha Ha!!!!!